In a significant move within the telecom industry, Vodacom Tanzania has announced the acquisition of Smile Communications Tanzania Limited, further solidifying its position in the market. The deal, valued at TZS 68.8 billion (£22 million/€25 million), marks a strategic investment by Vodacom to enhance its service offerings and expand its reach across Tanzania.

Read more: Vodacom Expands Presence in Tanzania with £22 Million Acquisition of Smile Communications

Telecom Egypt (TE) has teamed up with Tejas Networks, the Information Technology Industry Development Agency (ITIDA), and the National Telecom Institute (NTI) to replicate successful projects like Bharatnet and NKN in Egypt.

Read more: Telecom Egypt's Initiative to Boost Telecom Infrastructure and Expertise

Africa stands at a pivotal moment as the uptake of connectivity services skyrockets, driven by its vast and youthful population. The continent's six major operator groups—Airtel Africa, Axian Telecom, Ethio Telecom, MTN, Orange, and Vodacom—are leading the charge, joining forces to forge closer collaborations with governments.

Read more: Africa's Tech Revolution: 'Big 6' Operators Unite for Connectivity

Telkom South Africa has recently concluded the sale of its subsidiary, Swiftnet, which specializes in mast and tower infrastructure, to a consortium of investors for a significant sum of $357 million. This landmark deal, unveiled in March, sees the emergence of Towerco Bidco as the new entity, with Actis securing a commanding 70% stake and Royal Bafokeng Holdings taking up the remaining 30%.

Read more: Telkom Marks Strategic Shift in Tower Business

Thuraya Telecommunications Company, the mobile satellite communication arm of Al Yah Satellite Communications Company PJSC, announced the expansion of its cooperation with Algérie Télécom Satellite, the authorized partner for Thuraya services in the People's Democratic Republic of Algeria.

Read more: Algérie Télécom Satellite Revealed as Exclusive Distributor for Thuraya's Latest SKYPHONE

Vodacom Mozambique is reportedly investing US$25 million into the establishment of a new data center within the country. As per reports from the Data Centre Dynamics website, citing local news sources, the data center will be situated in Matola, near the capital city of Maputo. Matola, known for its port and as home to the largest industrial area in Mozambique, offers a strategic location for the installation, providing direct access to the 2Africa subsea cable, which is hosted in Vodacom Mozambique’s equipment room in Matola.

Read more: Vodacom Mozambique's New Data Center Investment

A strategic alliance has been formed among Coronation Group, Access Holdings Plc, Safaricom Plc, and M-PESA Africa, with the aim of expanding remittance access across Africa to enhance financial inclusion continent-wide. The parties are focused on devising solutions to establish a remittance corridor linking East and West Africa, connecting some of Africa's largest economies.

Read more: Safaricom's Expansion: Partnering to Introduce M-Pesa to West Africa

In an exciting development, Etisalat Egypt has teamed up with Viu, a prominent streaming platform, to deliver an unparalleled entertainment experience to its customers in Egypt. This exclusive collaboration is set to elevate the entertainment landscape, offering a diverse array of content in Arabic, English, Turkish, and Korean.

Read more: Etisalat Egypt to Transform Entertainment Landscape in Egypt

More Articles ...